Glitter mountain as it is sometimes called The Old Gypsum Mine, or Sparkle Mountain, and is about a 25 minute drive from St. George and is just across the Arizona border. The mountain is more like a mound of dirt that is covered in pieces of gypsum that glitters when the sun is shining and then a large pit where you can see the gypsum in the ground. The owner of the mineral rights has asked that visitors just enjoy the site from outside the pit, but there are plenty of small pieces on the ground for you to take as a souvenir. This is a fun and interesting outing especially for kids!
***Please read this update on site access before going***
From Warner Valley Exit
- Head East on Warner Valley Road
- Take the first Right onto the dirt frontage road
- Continue South for about 3 miles to a fork in the road
- Stay to the Left and continue 1 mile to another fork in the road
- Turn Right and cross over the dry wash
- Continue South for .7 miles to another fork in the road
- Stay Left. This will be Sunshine Trail Rd
- Continue on Sunshine Trail Rd for 1 mile and Glitter Mountain will be on the Right!