Glitter mountain as it is sometimes called The Old Gypsum Mine, or Sparkle Mountain, and is about a 25 minute drive from St. George and is just across the Arizona border. The mountain is more like a mound of dirt that is covered in pieces of gypsum that glitters when the sun is shining and then a large pit where you can find the gypsum. You can hammer out from the side of the hill chunks of the clear flakey mineral and there is plenty of smaller pieces on the ground for smaller children. This is a fun and interesting outing especially for kids!
From Warner Valley Exit
- Head East on Warner Valley Road
- Take the first Right onto the dirt frontage road
- Continue South for about 3 miles to a fork in the road
- Stay to the Left and continue 1 mile to another fork in the road
- Turn Right and cross over the dry wash
- Continue South for .7 miles to another fork in the road
- Stay Left. This will be Sunshine Trail Rd
- Continue on Sunshine Trail Rd for 1 mile and Glitter Mountain will be on the Right!
Check out these sites for more info: