,

Pioneer Courthouse

SITE INFO


The Washington county seat hasn’t always been in St. George! It was first in New Harmony, 45 miles northeast, and then in 1863 it moved to St. George. Three years later construction began on a courthouse, and in 1876 it was completed.

Miles Romney, who supervised construction on both the St. George temple and tabernacle, also oversaw the construction of the courthouse. The basement was used as a jailhouse, the first floor as offices, and the second floor was a courtroom. When it wasn’t being used as a courtroom it was used as a schoolroom.

Some of the unique features of the courthouse include original paintings of Zion National Park and the Grand Canyon, chandeliers, 18 inch thick interior walls, and a security vault. The courthouse is open for tours.


  • Hours

    Mon-Thu 9am-5pm
    Fri 9am-4pm

  • Cost

    Free

CONTACT DETAILS



WHAT’S NEARBY


YOU MIGHT FIND THIS INTERESTING TOO…


,

Harrisburg Ghost Town

HARRISBURG GHOST TOWN


Address: Located on Old Hwy 91 between Leeds and St George

SITE INFO


Originally Harrisburg was settled in 1859 under the name Harrisville after Moses Harris. The town was located where Quail Creek Reservoir is now located, but due to flooding the town moved up the creek. By 1892 the town’s population, for the most part, had moved away because of flooding, grasshopper plauges, and Indian raids. Now a ghost town, the last remains of a few stone pioneer homes are all that stand as a memorial to the town of Harrisburg.


  • Cost

    Free


CONTACT DETAILS


  • Location

    On Old Hwy 91 between Leeds and St George.

  • Distance from St George

    14 miles (20 mins driving)

YOU MIGHT FIND THIS INTERESTING TOO…



Notice: Undefined index: index in /home/hikest5/public_html/wp-content/themes/enfold/config-templatebuilder/avia-shortcodes/buttons_fullwidth.php on line 405

Notice: Undefined index: index in /home/hikest5/public_html/wp-content/themes/enfold/config-templatebuilder/avia-shortcodes/buttons_fullwidth.php on line 405
,

Jacob Hamblin Home

JACOB HAMBLIN HOME


Address: 3325 Hamblin Dr, Santa Clara, UT 84765
Phone: (435) 673-2161
Website: www.lds.org/locations/jacob-hamblin-home?lang=eng&_r=1


SITE INFO


In the 1800’s Jacob Hamblin was called to Southern Utah as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to the Paiute Indians. His home, located in Santa Clara, Utah, near St. George, is now a historic site where guided tours are offered to learn more about Jacob being a “friend to the Indians”, and life in a frontier town. This beautiful historic property and home is a great spot to learn more about this piece of Southern Utah’s history.


  • Hours

    Winter (October 7th – April 5th)
    Open daily from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

    Summer (April 6th – October 6th)
    Open daily from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

  • Cost

    Free


Notice: Undefined index: index in /home/hikest5/public_html/wp-content/themes/enfold/config-templatebuilder/avia-shortcodes/buttons_fullwidth.php on line 405

Notice: Undefined index: index in /home/hikest5/public_html/wp-content/themes/enfold/config-templatebuilder/avia-shortcodes/buttons_fullwidth.php on line 405
,

Brigham Young Winter Home

BRIGHAM YOUNG WINTER HOME


Address: 67 West 200 North, St. George, Utah 84770
Phone: (435) 673-2517
Website: www.lds.org/locations/brigham-young-winter-home?lang=eng&_r=1


SITE INFO


The Brigham Young home was a winter home to the 2nd prophet of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Built in the late 1800’s Brigham Young spent the last winters of his life here. He oversaw the building of the Temple and Tabernacle during this time. It is now a historic home and museum where guided tours are offered and sits beautifully among other historic homes and buildings in the area.


  • Hours

    9:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.

    The last tour starts at 6:30 p.m.

  • Cost

    Free


CONTACT DETAILS



WHAT’S NEARBY


,

Pioneer Encampment Mall

PIONEER ENCAMPMENT MALL


Physical Address: 225 S 700 E, St George, UT 84770


SITE INFO


The Encampment Mall, which is located on the campus of Dixie State University, is where the first Mormon pioneers camped when they arrived in St. George in 1861 to settle and grow cotton in the desert. They were the first of hundreds of families who were called by Brigham Young to come and settle in this area. It was under harsh conditions that the early pioneers endured to build what we now enjoy in this beautiful city. The Encampment Mall has a monument to honor these men and women along with beautiful landscape and statues depicting these early pioneers.

It is fitting that Dixie State University is built on this site, because one of the first things they did after setting up camp was establish a place for education to begin. Children were gathered around and taught reading, writing and arithmetic.


  • Hours

    Campus is open during daylight hours

  • Cost

    Free


CONTACT DETAILS


  • Address

    Physical Address: 225 S 700 E, St George, UT 84770

  • Distance from St George

    Located Downtown St George


WHAT’S NEARBY